Bariatric Breakfast Ideas:
Wake Up and Smell the Protein
Are you tired of waking up to the
same old protein shake or hard-boiled egg for breakfast? Well, fear not,
because I’ve got some fresh, delicious, simple bariatric breakfast ideas that will
kickstart your day with a protein-packed punch!
From spicing up your cottage cheese
to getting creative with your Greek yogurt, these fast and simple combos will
have you looking forward to waking up in the morning. So, forget that old boring
lapband, bypass, or VSG breakfast and let's get cooking (or should I say “combining”)!
Cottage Cheese Mix Ups
Note: Use nonfat or low-fat cottage
- Cottage cheese + cinnamon
- Cottage cheese + apple pie spice
- Cottage cheese + pepper
- Cottage cheese + Everything but the Bagel seasoning
- Cottage cheese + banana slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Cottage cheese + canned peaches (in own juice)
- Cottage cheese + mixed berries
- Cottage cheese + tomatoes slices. Sprinkle with dill
Greek Yogurt Madness
Note: Use plain, nonfat or low-fat
When using extracts and seasoning for flavor, start with a few drops, then add add more to taste. You can always add more, but you can't take it out if you add to much to begin with!
- Greek yogurt + vanilla extract + cinnamon
- Greek yogurt + coconut extract
- Greek yogurt + cake batter extract (!)
- Greek yogurt + unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice.
- Greek yogurt + powdered peanut butter. Eat as is, or freeze and eat like a frozen treat.
- Greek yogurt + banana slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon
- Greek yogurt + powdered peanut butter + strawberries. Eat as is, or freeze and eat like a frozen treat.
- Greek yogurt + blueberries + ground flaxseeds
- Greek yogurt + diced apples. Sprinkle with apple pie spice.
- Greek yogurt + diced apple + apple pie spice + sprinkling of walnuts , pecans or slivered almonds
Pro Tip: Elevate your basic egg by adding seasonings like Everything but
the Bagel Seasoning, Mrs. Dash, or salsa
- Poached egg
- Scrambled egg
- Scrambled egg + low-fat cheddar or mozzarella. Flavor with a dash of hot sauce.
- Hard-boiled egg; sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel seasoning (my personal fav)
- Hard boiled egg mashed with cottage cheese. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Hard boiled egg mashed with cottage cheese and avocado. Sprinkle with Everything but the Bagel Seasoning.
- Hard boiled egg + Morningstar Farms breakfast link
- Hard boiled egg + low-fat string cheese
- Egg scrambled with pinto beans. Top with salsa.
- Egg scrambled with black beans. Top with diced avocado.
- Cook an egg like a thin omelet so you can use it like a tortilla. Fill with tomato slices and avocado. Roll and eat.
- Cook an egg like a thin omelet so you can use it like a tortilla. Fill with cottage cheese. Roll and eat.
- Egg white omelette filled with sautéed spinach and onions + feta cheese
- Popeye the Sailor Man breakfast bowl: scrambled egg + sautéed spinach; top with diced tomatoes and feta cheese
- Mexican Fiesta breakfast bowl: Scrambled egg + black/pinto beans + lowfat cheese + salsa
The Joy of Meal-Prep
A little meal prep goes a long way to ensure you have healthy, high-protein options
- Hard-boiled eggs (Boil a dozen at a time, keep them in the
shell and peel when you’re ready to eat)
- Protein pancakes or waffles that can be frozen and then
reheated as needed
- Individual portions of Greek yogurt with berries and nuts
all prepped and portioned for the week and stacked in the fridge ready to
- Veggie omelette cups with diced veggies and turkey bacon
- Protein overnight oats
Power of Protein Powders
Whey Isolate (best choice) or Egg, Pea, Hemp or Soy Protein Powder:
- Blend into a smoothie with frozen fruit and a cup of
unsweetened almond milk
- Green smoothie (for the strength of the Hulk…minus the green skin)
- Create your own protein shake
- Add to oatmeal for a protein boost
- Stir into plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Mix with water and a dash of cinnamon for a quick protein
Thinking Outside the Box
- Leftover dinner: chicken + vegetables
- Rolled deli turkey slices + hard boiled egg
- Oatmeal prepared with a ready made protein shake instead of water. Optional: Stir in berries and top with sprinkling of chia seeds
- Blend Milk or Ready Made Protein Shake + frozen fruit or vegetables. Examples: Vanilla Premier + a few frozen strawberries, or Vanilla Premier + frozen spinach + ¼-1/2 banana + powdered peanut butter
Bariatric Breakfast Ideas:
150-200 Calories, 14-20 grams protein
Here are some ideas with exact
portioning so the math is taken care of for you. Any one of these ideas have about 150-200 calories and 14-20 grams of protein:
- 1 individual carton plain nonfat Greek yogurt
+ ½ cup berries + 1 Tablespoon powdered peanut butter. Mix and eat or blend and drink.
- 1 individual carton plain nonfat Greek Yogurt + ½ cup
peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon
- ½ cup lowfat cottage cheese + ½ cup blueberries. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon chia seeds.
- 1 hard boiled egg + 1 lowfat cheese stick
- Omelet: Scramble 1 egg and 2 egg whites with
spinach. Top with 2 Tbsp. shredded lowfat cheese. Dot with salsa or hot sauce.
- 1 serving of protein pancakes made with a protein powder. Top with Greek yogurt and berries
Top Breakfast Tips
Don't let boring breakfasts keep you down. Get creative and
give these breakfast ideas a try. Wake up and smell the protein, it's time to make breakfast
Like This Info? Allow Me to Join You on Your Journey!
Credible, Professional Advice and Inspiration Delivered to Your Inbox:
Subscribe to Tiny Tummy Tips Newsletter
Don't worry...your email address is completely secure. I will never share or sell it. I promise to use it only to send you bariatric diet information.
Want MORE Recipes?
Get the COMPLETE Collection of 30 Bariatric Breakfast Ideas NOW
Not only will you get 30 bariatric friendly high protein breakfast ideas, I give you my simplified meal planning approach. It’s easy. It simplifies shopping. You won’t get bored, and you’ll enjoy variety over time!
30 Bariatric Breakfast Ideas is authored by ME…Bariatric Dietitian Suzette Kroll, RDN. You can therefore feel confident each recipe has earned a professional stamp of approval.
This is a downloadable pdf booklet. Recipes contain dairy and/or eggs.
You'll be redirected to a link for download after agreeing to a small donation of $11.99. The donation is to help me keep the website running so I can continue to provide all my free professional tips, strategies, motivation and ideas! Thank you in advance for your support! Bon Apetit!