2 Week Pre Op Diet:
How to Follow
the Liquid Diet Before Bariatric Surgery
Are you ready to tackle the challenge of the
2 week pre op diet? This low carbohydrate, high protein, and very low calorie
diet will give your liver a head start before surgery.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links which means that if you choose to purchase one of the items I earn a small percentage to help support this site without any extra cost to you.
Pre Bariatric Surgery Diet Guidelines
800-1200 calories per day
Less than 50 grams carbohydrate per day
60-100 grams protein per day
Ready, Set, Fuel!
Your Guide to the 2 Week Pre Op Diet: You Have Options
Some programs stick to liquid shakes only, while others offer a combination of shakes and solid food.
There are no standardized guidelines for the pre weight loss surgery diet. So don't worry, there's no one "right" way.
Either way, you're on your way to a successful
surgery. Get started now and choose the option that works best for you.
Liver Diet Before Bariatric Surgery:
Sip You Way to Success with an All-Liquid Diet
Liquid Luxury! Two weeks of delicious and nutritious liquid love...aaahhhh.
Your 2 week liquid
diet plan includes:
And, If You're Feeling Frisky:
- Jiggly Joy with Sugar-Free Gelatin
Popsicles with Personality, Sans the Sugar
Broth Bonanza: Chicken, Beef, Veggie, Mushroom, or Miso
Your Pre Op Liquid Diet Schedule
Wake up and shake it up! Here's your daily liquid diet plan:
Get a daily dose of delicious and nutritious shakes every 3 hours like this:
- 7am: Start your day with a
meal replacement shake
- 10am: Another shake, another step closer to success
- 1pm: Keep the momentum going with shake number three
- 4pm: Halfway there! Sip
on shake number four
- 7pm: End the day on a high note with the final shake
With this schedule, there's no need to stress about what and how much to eat.
The liquid meal replacements provide the correct calories and bariatric macros,
freeing you from the hassle of weighing, measuring, or calculating anything.
say goodbye to meal prep and hello to more free time. Sip, relax, and get ready
for surgery and the exciting journey ahead!
A "meal replacement shake" is NOT the same thing as an over the counter "protein shake," "protein drink," or "protein supplement."
Meal replacement shakes like this one have small amounts of added carb, fat, and fiber, like a real whole food meal would.
This helps curb hunger and makes the bariatric liquid diet easier to follow.
2 Week Pre Op Diet:
Your Guide to Preparing Perfect Meal Replacement Shakes
bariatric-specific, high protein meal replacement shake is a breeze:
- Simply mix
the powder with water or any other no cal or low cal beverage.
- Customize to your liking with as much or as little
water as you prefer.
- Add ice for a chillier treat...or not.
- Use a
shaker cup or blender – whatever works for you.
2 Week Pre Op Diet:
Get Creative with Meal Replacement Shakes!
Inevitably you get tired of the same ol', same ol' shake.
Drinking 5 meal replacement shakes a day for one week is 35 shakes!
You therefore drink 70 shakes by the time you're done with the 2 week pre op liquid diet!
- (5 shakes x 14 days = 70)
Here's how to vary the flavor. Mix it up with these fun flavor
- Add a dash of excitement to your routine by swapping water for a low
calorie or no calorie beverage like sugar-free lemonade or tea.
- Fresh herbs
like mint, ginger, cilantro, or parsley can add a burst of flavor to your
- Spice things up with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, or apple pie spice.
- Make your shakes taste like dessert with baking extracts like almond,
coconut, banana, hazelnut, maple, anise, lime, orange, pumpkin pie spice,
peppermint, strawberry, or even cake batter extract!
This baking extract brand has over 60 flavors to choose from and even lets you create your own custom box.
Transform Your Vanilla and Chocolate Shakes
Bring your meal replacement shakes to life with these delicious add-ins. Say goodbye to boring ol' shakes and hello to delicious and satisfying creations.
Note: A little extract goes a long way! Start with a small amount and add more to taste. You can always add more if it’s not strong enough, but you can’t take it back if you add TOO much!
Cheers to a flavorful 2-week pre op diet!
Vanilla Meal Replacement Drinks
- Piña Colada: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon coconut and ¼ to ½ teaspoon pineapple extract
- Eggnog: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon rum extract. Sprinkle with nutmeg
- Nutty Almond: Add ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Creamsicle: Use FLAT diet orange soda or orange-flavored Crystal Light® in place of water
- Latte: Use decaffeinated coffee in place of water
Chocolate Meal Replacement Drinks
- Chocolate Almond: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Chocolate Mint: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon mint or peppermint extract
- Chocolate Orange: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon orange extract
- Chocolate Banana: Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon banana extract
- Mocha: Use decaffeinated coffee in place of water
Attention Diabetic Warriors:
Make the 2 Week Pre Op Diet Your Own
Are you ready to take
on the pre surgery liver shrinking diet while managing your diabetes? Great!
But before you start, make sure to have a chat with your doctor.
Because as you
lower your carbs and calories, you may be at risk of experiencing low blood
sugars. Your doctor may adjust your insulin or oral medication to keep your
blood sugar levels in check.
Stay on top of your blood sugar readings and don't
hesitate to reach out to your doctor if needed. Together, you can customize
this diet to fit your unique needs.
The Bottom Line for Your Bottom Line:
2 Week Pre Op Diet
- You have to follow a 2 week pre op liver shrinking diet before
surgery. See WHY
- You have
options, but the ALL LIQUID diet approach takes all the guesswork out of
- Meal replacement shakes are
not the same thing as protein shakes.
- You’ll get bored drinking the same meal replacement shakes daily.
There are many ways to vary the flavor to keep things interesting!
- If you’re
diabetic, check with your doctor before starting.
Like This Info? Allow Me to Join You on Your Journey!
Credible, Professional Advice and Inspiration Delivered to Your Inbox:
Subscribe to Tiny Tummy Tips Newsletter