|Back to Back Issues Page|
Tiny Tummy Tips, Issue #39- Healthy BBQ Hacks
August 30, 2023
Healthy BBQ Hacks
Tiny Tummy Tips, Issue #039 -- Healthy BBQ Hacks Just in Time for Labor Day
Labor Day is Upon UsIt’s time to fire up the grill and celebrate the end of summer with a sizzle, as Labor Day is upon us!
Ah, the tantalizing scent of barbecue wafting through the air – it's a symphony for the senses, a culinary serenade to the soul.
What if I told you that you CAN indulge in this smoky delight while keeping your health and weight goals intact?!
Instead of Hot Dogs or High Fat Hamburgers• Ground Sirloin/Lean Ground Beef (90/10% or 96/4% fat)
• Turkey burgers (90/10%, 93/7%, or 99/1% fat)
• Grilled salmon or whitefish
• Shrimp kabobs
• Chicken kabobs
Nom nom nom...
Instead of a Bun• Wrap your turkey burger or grilled chicken in a lettuce leaf
• Serve atop a large grilled portabella mushroom cap
• Serve between two thick slices of tomato
Instead of High Calorie Side Dishes• Coleslaw: shredded cabbage and carrots with vinegar dressing
• Cucumber salad
• Potato salad or egg salad made with plain nonfat Greek yogurt in place of mayo
• Easy Farmers Market Salad: Romaine + sliced radishes + snap peas + sliced avocados + lemon juice
Instead of High Calorie DessertsEnd your BBQ bash on a sweet note without the sugar overload.
Grilled fruit, like pineapple or peaches, and a sprinkle of cinnamon, is a delightful, guilt-free dessert.
MOST IMPORTANTLY• Eat a little something before the event. Being overly hungry, and having lots of tempting food around is NOT a good combo.
• Stay on top of hydration. Be sure to have your refillable water bottle with you at all times!
• Have a plan. Have a general idea of what you’re planning to eat…and not eat. Tell someone else your plan!
Keep in Mind...
A healthy BBQ doesn't mean sacrificing flavor or fun! It's about making smart choices and savoring every moment.
So, fire up that grill, embrace these healthy hacks, and savor the sweet victory of a BBQ that's as good for your body as it is for your taste buds!
Pay It ForwardTiny Tummy Tips Newsletter delivers practical, professional advice and simplifies what to eat after weight loss surgery.
If you like this e-zine, please do a friend (and me) a big favor and "pay it forward" by sending the link or posting on your social media.
If you received this as a forward from a friend, and if you like what you read please subscribe by visiting tiny-tummy-tips.html
Comments? Ideas? Feedback?I'd love to hear from you! Just reply to this e-zine and tell me what you think!
See you in the next issue!
Suzette Kroll, RDN
|Back to Back Issues Page|